I recently asked a question and shortly received an answer.
- The question was kind of a big topic and raised a number of specific questions, however it was centered around a very specific issue and I specified what I wanted to see in an answer.
- The answer touched on a small corner of the topic, then wandered to a different topic. I feel that while it originated from the same topic, it completely failed to address the gist of my question, much less the specifics asked for.
This question is not about the quality or content of that particular answer!
The issues I would like to raise is how tightly coupled the subject matter of answers should be coupled with the questions they handle.
- Must they be point for point matches of the question?
- Should they specifically address the topic, but do so by relating whatever material they feel is relevant?
- Should they be allowed to use the question as a launchpad to make a point on any related issue?
- Is there another different balance to be struck?